Monday, August 31, 2009

Yummy Zucchini Blueberry Bread

Ok, so I've never posted a recipe to my blog, but I'm cooking all the time and often trying new things, so why not? I didn't have the foresight to take a picture of the finished product but trust me (and the rest of my family!), the bread is delicious! I found the original recipe on allrecipes.com, but it was way high in fat and calories so I lightened it up and it was so tasty. Since zucchinis are everywhere right now it's a great way to use them up.

Zucchini Blueberry Bread

3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup applesauce (preferably "no sugar added")
1/4 vegetable oil
3 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini (dry it a bit by pressing between paper towels in a strainer) - you could definitely use 3 cups and the recipe would still be great!
3 cups flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 all-purpose)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 350*. Lightly grease 2 loaf pans (or 4 mini-loaf pans)

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and sugars. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Pour evenly into pans.

Bake 40 -50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans; turn out onto wire racks and cool completely.

No comments: